I recently needed to replace my mascara and having read about some fellow zero wasters who’d made their own, I was intrigued. It took me a while to find a recipe with ingredients that i could access easily but I finally settled on a modified version of this one from The Green Lassie
- ¼ tsp activated charcoal (I used the inners of activated charcoal capsules)
- ¼ tsp bentonite clay (or another loose powder such as cornstarch)
- 4-5 drops of grapeseed oil (or coconut/ jojoba/ olive oil / almond)
- Take activated charcoal and mix well with bentonite clay
- Add 4-5 drops of oil and mix a little
- Add your water until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl
- After a few minutes, you’ll get a smooth consistency which you can then pour into a small container. If the mixture is too think add a few more drops of oil.
- Let the mixture sit for at least an hour before applying.
I’m really happy with this mascara and I doubt I’ll ever by mascara again. I found it stays on very well during the day and doesn’t smudge and it’s easy peasy to remove at the end of the day. (Update: 14th September 2017. I’ve had to call it a day on the DIY mascara. As time past the mascara got more and more flaky and a few minutes after application I would look like an orphaned panda. I saw a positive review of a creamy cake style mascara on the blog of another zero waster, The Rogue Ginger. I think this might be a better route to investigate. So I’ll keep trying a few recipes and report back with updates.)
I’ve seen similar recipes using aloe vera instead or shea butter instead of oil. I did try making mascara with burnt almonds, as suggested by Bea Johnson, but I found I couldn’t grind the almonds down fine enough and the end result just irritated my eyes. So I switched to activated charcoal capsules which have a very fine powder inside. Just break the capsule open and voila finely ground charcoal. I couldn’t find activated charcoal without plastic packaging but the container of capsules will last me years and is recyclable. I found the activated charcoal capsules in Down to Earth, D2, the bentonite clay and the almond oil in the Co Wicklow based store Bomar.ie.
(Update: 5th August 2018) Since I first wrote this post I’ve trialled several recipes for mascara including one that blended 1) carnuba wax, charcoal, clay and oil, 2) carnuba wax, charcoal, clay and aloe vera, 3) charcoal, cornflower, water and oil. None worked successfully but I’ll keep looking and trialling and will update this post as I go!